|150g||(6 oz)||Plain Flour
|35g||(1 1/2 oz)||Lard
|35g||(1 1/2 oz)||Margarine
|20g||(3/4 oz)||Caster Sugar
|2 tbsp||Jam or Lemon Curd
|75g||(3 oz)||Caster Sugar
|100g||(4 oz)||Ground Almonds
|50g||(2 oz)||Ground Rice
|A few drops||Almond Essence
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a basin, rub in fat.
- Using a knife to cut and stir, mix in a little cold water to form a stiff dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly.
- Roll out dough and line an 18cm (7") flan tin with 2/3 of pastry.
- Spread base with jam/curd. Preheat oven to 190C (375F or GM5).
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Mix together ground almonds and ground rice, add to creamed mixture alternately with beaten egg.
- Add a few drops of almond essence.
- Spread mixture over jam, then decorate with a lattice of pastry strips.
- Bake for 35-40mins.