This recipe has travel all over the world judging by the emails I've received.
|175g||(6 oz)||Demerarer Sugar
|425g||(14 oz)||Mixed Fruit
|75g||(3 oz)||Cherries, quartered
|275g||(10 oz)||Self-raising flour
|125g||(4 oz)||Butter or margarine
- Put sugar, fruit, water, butter, and salt into saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool. (Try putting the saucepan into a sink of cold water and stiring a bit.)
- Preheat oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 6.
- Grease and line an 8" round tin (7" square).
- When mixture is cooler than finger temperature stir egg in well.
- Add flour gradually and mix well.
- Turn into tin, smooth top over, bake for 1.25-1.5h, until golden brown.
- Cool before turning out.
- Improves with keeping, if you can manage to keep it...